- 2019 Familia Nueva Vineyards Liberté Cabernet Sauvignon, Paso Robles, California ($9.99 @ Trader Joe’s, California)
This post was supposed to be a dual between two Cabernet Sauvignons from Paso Robles. Both are from Trader Joe’s. Both were $9.99. It was a match made in vino heaven. Only one problem: the other wine (named Caretaker) was vastly inferior to this one. It went from the tasting glass to the kitchen sink drain. Thankfully the surviving twin delivers enough QPR for both! Especially at this $10 price point. It’s delicious…
Pours a dark reddish/purple. The nose has pleasant aromas of black cherry, spice, cola and leather. Fruit forward with notes of maple, cherry cola, blackberry, vanilla, baking spice, and plum. Medium tannins and a nice lingering finish.
This is a medium-bodied wine which tastes a bit on the sweet, rounder side than most pure Cabs. This has me guessing that in addition to the Cabernet Sauvignon, there might be dollops of Zinfandel and/or Syrah (both are common in Paso Robles vineyards) blended in as well. Remember, by law the wine must be at least 85% Cabernet, but that leaves 15% of mystery additions. Call it winemakers taking, uh, some Libertés with the blend!
Trader Joe’s is known for stocking wine that are what are called in the trade “in and outs”. This describes product that is on the shelves one day, and then gone once sold through. This Liberté CabSauv on the other hand, seems to be a fixture in their wine set. But just to be safe, you might want to pick up your stash sooner rather than later.
Searching for More Wine Picks from Trader Joe’s – or Costco?
If your search for this wine lands you in Trader Joe’s, take along our handy Lucky 13 list of TJ’s wine here.
And if your wine shopping excursions land you in Costco, prepare by grazing our most recent reviews of Costco wines here in our Lucky 13 list.